Sunday, October 10, 2010

Welcome inside the jar of noir...

I'm bringing my love of all things noir (classic and modern) to you through my blog! I find my love of noir intense; it encompasses all forms from books to old time radio drama to film and art.

I can remember--when i was a kid--my grandmother loving all the Mike Hammer shows and me and my cousins always watched the classic, black and white films at grandma's on Sunday mornings ( from White Heat, to Night Of The Hunter to Bogart in The Big Sleep and Key Largo).  There is just something keen and a bit gritty in noir. It's cool and rebellious all at the same time.

Noir comes from a place where all women were tough and vulnerable, beautiful and dirty all at the same time. Noir is smokey rooms and dark alleys. It is bold and mean. It is soft and vulnerable. Noir will kiss you and punch you in the face.

Noir is a true escape into a world where men are men and women are dames. You can smoke 'em if you got 'em in noir and stay up all night. You can shoot bourbon at seven in the morning in noir and shoot the bad guy without making him bleed.

My favorite noir actors are John Garfield, Farley Granger, Montgomery Clift, Robert Mitchum, Joseph Cotton and Orson Welles. My favorite noir directors are John Huston, Alfred Hitchcock, David Lynch and (seemingly new to the foray) Martin Scorsese.

I'll be sharing more of my loves of noir from radio drama and film in the next couple of posts, so feel free to share your loves too!!

I'm interested in what type of noir you all like and am always looking for new, different, interesting and exciting forms of noir...

WELCOME TO NOIR IN A JAR!!!!!!!!

No comments: